Mrbiff
Mad Deckbuilder
Mad Deckbuilder

ZD points : 1337
Warnings :
0 / 50 / 5

Time Zone : UTC-6:00
Male Join Date : 2012-09-28
Humor : Humor? What is that? Some kind of disease? Is it contagious?
Jobs/Hobbies : Science

PostSubject: Playing Multiple Copies Of Cards   2013-05-22, 04:45

I've noticed that one of the biggest differences between pro deckbuilders and not-so-pro deckbuilders is knowing how many copies of a card they want in their deck. This actually makes a big difference on how a deck plays and which support cards would be most effective. Statistically speaking having multiple copies of certain cards determines how often you would be able to have that card in hand, therefore, it determines what kinda of a play-style that deck would have. Some cards may not affect the play-style as much, but these are usually the tech cards that people have as personal touches.

As an example let's pick a deck that has enough cards where you don't need to run 3 of every monster to make the deck work, but where card choice can make a difference. Since Bujin look like they're going to be one of those decks, let's go with that. Here's the Bujin Wiki page in case you don't know what the cards do or what they're all about: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Bujin
The first step in accurately determining how many copies of a card you need, is understanding exactly what the deck is supposed to do. With Bujin, the entire point is to have your Beast-Warrior Bujin monsters out so that you can use the Beast-Type monster's support effects.

Once you understand what a deck does, it's important to figure out what cards are actually needed to fulfill a strategy. Obviously with Bujin you're going to need the Beast-Warriors to make it work. When you know what the core strategy is then you'll be able to figure out what cards might be able to help. I usually brainstorm a list of cards then rank them. I do this by having a number system, 0-3. It's really simple, if you think a card is going to be absolutely necessary to the strategy and you'll need it every duel, make it a 3. If you think a card won't ever be useful make it a 0. Then you put all of the cards together into a deck with a number of copies equal to the ranking it had, from there you can pretty much figure out the first draft of a deck. If the card total comes to some really big number of cards, and you don't think that the deck has the ability to be consistent at that card total, I would re-evaluate what some of the cards rankings were. You could even take the deck out for a test run and figure out that way. This is because thinking something would work and it actually working are two different things. If you know me a t all, I'm basically an expert on theory vs. application, so I know what I'm talking about.

When considering rankings you should also take into account support cards that increase the ability to access some of the other cards in the deck. In Bujin all of the Beast monsters' effects need them to be banished or sent to the graveyard. There is a trap card that allows you to recycle monsters from both of those places, The Bujin Armament Apparition. Bujin monsters can also be searched by Yamato, one of the Beast-Warriors and Susano, one of the Xyz. If you run multiples of the trap and Yamato then it should drop the ranking of some of the Beast monsters.

Ultimately the decision to have several copies of a card is up to you, or Konami in the case of banned cards (I want to run three pot of greed in every deck). When deciding though, it shouldn't all be based on theory, you should test the deck some before making judgements. Testing is one of the most important steps in deck building because it actually has the deck in action, if a strategy doesn't work, at least not as well as it should, then it will become evident really fast. If something doesn't work then it becomes easier to fix it if you test the deck. After a few duels you should be able to figure out what works and what doesn't, if you need more of a card or less of it, and what you wish you had against certain match-ups. That's where the side deck comes in, and that's something else altogether, but you can still apply the ranking system to it. Usually it would be on a small scale though, since you only have 15 card slots, that goes double for the extra deck.

I hope this is helpful to some of you, and a good reminder for others, that having three of your best cards does not make a deck better. Usually it makes it worse.

If anybody has any questions, comments, requests or concerns post below,
For Science,
Lloyd Asplund, Mad Deckbuilder/He who knows the ending

Dueling against me is like getting stomped in the balls repeatedly by a man in a bear suit. The bear is wearing a hat and a bowtie. It's random and slightly painful. I speak from experience.
It looks like this:

P.S. the man on the ground is me
P.P.S. The man in the bear suit is also me
P.P.P.S. The opponent is probably the building or the tree or a very scared onlooker.

Last edited by Lloyd Asplund on 2013-07-29, 21:19; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ender's bitch
Impounded

ZD points : 0
Warnings :
5 / 55 / 5

Male Birthdate : 1992-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Playing Multiple Copies Of Cards   2013-05-22, 06:04

I suggest putting more guidance in it. Meaning, more headers, so people can orientate. That, along with a main header on what it is about, and if you go deluxe version, add pictures, maybe.

Content though, looks good.

Immortal Witch

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mrbiff
Mad Deckbuilder
Mad Deckbuilder

ZD points : 1337
Warnings :
0 / 50 / 5

Time Zone : UTC-6:00
Male Join Date : 2012-09-28
Humor : Humor? What is that? Some kind of disease? Is it contagious?
Jobs/Hobbies : Science

PostSubject: Re: Playing Multiple Copies Of Cards   2013-05-22, 06:42

@Sylv
While I appreciate your input my teaching style is orientated towards depth, rather than creating a quick reference guide. Some parts could be turned into a quick reference guide but it would lose the depth needed to address the topic successfully. Should I add headers for each paragraph I feel that people would be more inclined to skip around, and not get the full effect of the lesson. Pictures would be something I could incorporate more but having them would also deffer them from the main lesson, since I'm not having a centered format as to give off the feel this is something advanced, as the lesson is intended for people looking to go from a moderate to advanced skill level. If the spoiler system here was more subtle I would not hesitate to add pictures. Though I could definitely modify the majority of the lesson into a more simplified version reminiscent of the lessons you make, for those who aren't willing to read through the entire lesson and want the ranking system without all of the reasoning behind it. I would probably make that a different topic and link the two together.

Dueling against me is like getting stomped in the balls repeatedly by a man in a bear suit. The bear is wearing a hat and a bowtie. It's random and slightly painful. I speak from experience.
It looks like this:

P.S. the man on the ground is me
P.P.S. The man in the bear suit is also me
P.P.P.S. The opponent is probably the building or the tree or a very scared onlooker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Playing Multiple Copies Of Cards   

Back to top Go down

Playing Multiple Copies Of Cards
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1