Knight of Seven

Warnings :
0 / 50 / 5

Time Zone : EST (Eastern Standard Time)
Male Birthdate : 1994-07-30
Humor : crude
Jobs/Hobbies : writing

PostSubject: Missing Timing   2012-11-25, 11:08

Timing is easily one of the most important aspects of the game. It can work for both you and your opponent, but it depends on how you set the cards up. Missing timing in Yu-Gi-Oh! can mean you lose the opportunity to use/chain to an effect, which can cost either person the game--which is usually due to an effect activating in the middle of a chain (ill explain this later).
Another form of missing timing is due to simultaneous effects according and a certain card wants to activate in the middle of it. Card effect that miss timing do NOT activate. Now I know this is all confusing but I'll explain as we go.

You can easily identify these "miss-effect potential" monsters who have what wat is called "optional Effects." In other words, cards who have the following text: "When this card is....(blah blah) You can...(blah blah)" or something close like that.

The main reason cards miss timing is because their effects are optional and have specific conditions, and when these conditions are NOT the last thing to happen. This mostly concerns trigger effect monsters. For an optional effect monster to not miss timing, it must either be in its own chain alone or be the final chain link. Also the best way to avoid missing timing is by not using it for costs and using it for effect that don't have the word "then" in its text. And be-careful synchro-ing, fusing, tributing, or summoning any kind of monster when another is simultaneously removed from the field. Again all will be explained.
I'll also explain Mandatory and Unmissable Optional Effects.

Here are two examples of a card missing timing. Let's start with what happens when you use a monster with an optional effect for a cost.

Example 1:

Botanical Girl

Text: When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard, you can add 1 Plant-Type monster with 1000 or less DEF from your Deck to your hand.

And lets say I use a card say, Pollinosis when my opponent activates Monster Reborn.

Pollinosis

Text: Tribute 1 Plant-Type monster. Negate the activation of a Spell or Trap Card, or the Normal or Special Summon of a monster, and destroy that card.

Tributing a plant monster is a cost of activation, so if I tribute Botanical Girl for this effect, it will miss timing. Why? Even though Botanical Girl was sent to the grave, the last thing to actually happen was me negating Monster Reborn. So Botanical Girl will miss timing.

Example 2:

Gusto Gulldo

Text: When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 Level 2 or lower "Gusto" monster from your Deck.

and now I tribute it for, Icarus Attack

Icarus Attack

Text: Tribute 1 Winged Beast-Type monster to select 2 cards on the field. Destroy them.

If I tribute Gulldo for the activation of Icarus Attack, the last thing to happen would be me destroying 2 cards on the field. Even if Gulldo's conditions are pleased, Icarus Attack is still resolving and Gulldo cannot cut in the middle of its effect.

Missing Timing with Fusion, Synchro, and Tribute

Although Polymerization (except Super Polymerization), Synchro, Tribute Summon, and Ritual Cards do not have (or aren't considered as) costs, Optional Trigger Effects will miss timing if they are part of this situation. Why? It because the last thing to happen is a monster summon.

Here an example:

Caius, The Shadow Monarch

Text: When this card is Tribute Summoned: Target 1 card on the field; banish that target, and if you do, inflict 1000 damage to your opponent if it was a DARK monster.

and we'll tribute our little Gusto Gulldo again

Gusto Gulldo

Text: When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 Level 2 or lower "Gusto" monster from your Deck.

If I tribute Gusto Gulldo, I have fulfilled Gusto Gulldo's condition and SHOULD be able to search/summon;however, since I have yet to summon a monster after tribute, the last thing to happen is Caius's tribute summon.

Missing Timing in a Chain

Although this is not the most common, optional trigger effects can miss their timing because they activate in the middle of a chain.

Let's use a common situation:

Geartown

Text: Both players can Tribute Summon "Ancient Gear" monsters with 1 less Tribute than required. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 "Ancient Gear" monster from your hand, Deck, or Graveyard.

Why would this be controversial? Because no one really cares to read carefully when it comes to Geartown. People just assume that when it's destroyed, you can special summon--they are wrong.
What happens most often is the player will have an active Geartown, and then activate another field...so lets break it down

First, Geartown is destroyed to make room for the new field spell.
Second, the field spell is instantly activated (starting and resolving its own chain)
This, Geartown misses its timing to summon an "Ancient Gear"

Mini-Lesson: ALWAYS set your new field spell with Geartown active on the field. Geartown won't miss timing.

However, if the opposing player activates a field spell while Geartown is active, Geartown won't miss timing because the last thing to happen is Geartown's destruction.

Remember: the cards with the word "then" and/or (.)'s in their clauses are your worst enemies...or best, depending on how it's abused.

If a card effect has the word "then" in it, that means it'll take place after one part of the effect is done. If you start a chain (while fulfilling a card effect's activation scenario) with two cards effects that have a "then" clause in its text, then one of the two will miss timing.

Here is an example:

Ancient Fairy Dragon

Text: Once per turn, you can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower monster from your hand. You cannot conduct your Battle Phase the turn you activate this effect. Once per turn, you can destroy a Field Spell Card. If you do, gain 1000 Life Points, and you can add 1 Field Spell Card from your Deck to your hand.

Meklord Fortress

Text: Face-up "Meklord Emperor" monsters you control cannot be targeted by the effects of Synchro Monsters. When this card on the field is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard, you can add 1 "Meklord Emperor" monster from your Deck to your hand.

If you destroy Meklord Fortress by Ancient Fairy Dragon's second effect, you will destroy and gain 1000 life points simultaneously, so the last thing to happen would be both Meklord Fortress's condition and gaining life points;however, Ancient Fairy Dragon's effect is not over: you still have to decide whether you want to add 1 field spell or not. If you choose yes, you would miss timing on Meklord Fortress because the last thing to happen is adding a new field spell. If you choose no, as I stated earlier, the last thing to happen is Meklord's Fortress's destruction and gaining life points, so you get Meklord Fortress's effect.

Mandatory Effects

Mandatory effects are effects that MUST happen once a condition is fulfilled and will never miss timing; the only downside is you can't choose to stop it. Mandatory effects activate in their own chain instead of continuing a current one. Mandatory effects do not have the word "can" in its text.

Sangan

Text: When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: Add 1 monster with 1500 or less ATK from your Deck to your hand.

You will recognize this card since it is the most popular amongst Yu-Gi-Oh players. Sangan can never miss timing because it doesn't give the option to search. There are many other cards with wording similar to Sangan, and all can be abused in the same way.

Unmissable Optional Effects

There are cards that can never miss timing, but is optional at the same time. They are the cards that have effects that go as follows: "If this card...(blah blah) You can...(blah blah)"
These cards can make people confused because of the "you can" clause; however, because of the "if" clause IF these effects have the ability and IF they do, they will NEVER miss timing. They WILL start their own chain.

Remember: There are a few cards with the word "After" instead of "If"--these cards, too, follow the "if" clause and CANNOT miss timing IF their effects were to activate.

Using Miss Timing to your advantage

This may not be miss timing(or not recognized as miss timing), but if you are able to fulfill two effects at the same time you can halt an opponent's card response. Although its not common, its do-able. This is usually a technique to get over cards like Solemn Warning and Bottomless Trap Hole.
All these cards have a condition in order to activate, and with simultaneous unmissable effect activations, it is entirely possible. This requires some serious lateral thinking, and can certainly win you games.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
genexwrecker
Administrator
Administrator

ZD points : 1100
Warnings :
0 / 50 / 5

Time Zone : illinois
Male Birthdate : 1991-06-18
Humor : typos, spelling errors in names, and sarcasm
Jobs/Hobbies : dueling, helping others with rulings, trying new decks

PostSubject: Re: Missing Timing   2012-11-25, 11:39

.......wow. impressive even though C.C. already did this you took it to a new level impressive. i made the right choice reccomending you as a teacher. i hope to see more of your work soon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Volcarona
Knight of Seven
Knight of Seven

Warnings :
0 / 50 / 5

Time Zone : EST (Eastern Standard Time)
Male Birthdate : 1994-07-30
Humor : crude
Jobs/Hobbies : writing

PostSubject: Re: Missing Timing   2012-11-25, 11:43

I would've added more, and gone into more detail, but that would take away out of the personal experience of the game.

But thank you, regardless. Just need to think on what I would do a lesson on next.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Missing Timing   

Back to top Go down

Missing Timing
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1