Mrbiff
Mad Deckbuilder
Mad Deckbuilder

ZD points : 1337
Warnings :
0 / 50 / 5

Time Zone : UTC-6:00
Male Join Date : 2012-09-28
Humor : Humor? What is that? Some kind of disease? Is it contagious?
Jobs/Hobbies : Science

PostSubject: General Deck Strategies   2013-01-04, 05:31

This is mostly for people who are fairly new to the game to get aclimmated with some general strategy types. I left Yu-Gi-Oh when Blue-eyes was still the strongest monster in the game. I came back when Fishborg Turbo (or whatever its called) was summoning Quasar like crazy. Point being, I had no idea what was going on. I still thought having hige defense monsters and Axe of Despair was a great idea. I had no idea what kind of strategy I should use in this strange new world.

I'm going to go over a bunch of strategy types, I'm not going to talk about how to build them. I'm going to talk about what they do. If you're looking for ideas on a new deck, this might be a good place to look.

Mash: The entire deck is monsters. No spells, no traps. Monsters. Typically some kind of chaos build or some kind of deck type than entirely focuses on monster effects. This type of deck is mostly luck based since your strategies are limited by not being able to use spells or traps. This isn't to say Mash decks take no skill, they do. Tons of skill actually, if you draw into a hand full of monsters every time, you'd best know how to use them effectively. Example: Chaos Mash. Veiler and D.D. Crow are basically hand traps, plus they're light and dark.

Control: This deck type focuses on maintaining field advantage. They generally have the ability to destroy their opponents cards at any given time, or summon a bunch of monsters and keep them out on the field without worrying about spells or traps. Example:Gladiator Beasts. Glads like having their monsters on the field because they can contact fuse and pop two cards or negate spells and traps.

Stun: Stun decks stop your opponent from doing, well, anything. Generally they run Dark Bribes over MST and have little to no real offensive capability. They make up for it with their defense which leaves the field open for small attacks to the lifepoints. If you want to get on peoples nerves, this is for you. Example: Rock Stun, stun is even in the name. I don't even have to explain it.

Monster Beat: Really high monster counts. They are typically faster paced deck, vulnerable to spells and traps and like summoning high attack beaters. These decks OTK almost every time they win a duel. Example: Hieratic, anything with dragons is usually monster beat but this is the very definition.

Stall: I'm not talking about Exodia here, I'm talking about decks that use any means nessicary to survive until they have the resources to win. This usually involves lots of spells and traps and monsters that need lots of tributes. Example: Egyptian God decks, they stall until they get Obelisk and then star laying the hurt down.

Alternate Win Condition: If you're not trying run you opponents life down to 0 this type of deck is what you're playing. Exodia, Final Countdown, God of Creation and Mill. These are the only ways I know of to do it. Example: any of the decks I mentioned.

Burn: The entire point is to chip away at your opponent's life with card effects. Example: Chain Burn, they use lots of spells and traps to do damage, draw, and keep their life safe.

Beatdown: They use effects to boost their monster's already high attacks higher. Old school players use Axe of despair to do this and it still works, somewhat. Example: Harpies, Harpy Lady 1 gives 300 attack to all wind monsters and can be summoned from deck. Hunting ground gives 200 to all winged beasts and can be searched from deck. A fully boosted queen can have 3000 attack, for a level 4 thats really good.

There are definetly more deck strategy but this is just a general list. I might do a real surface coverage of every single type of deck I can think of, but I'm fairly sure the Wiki has done that already. So if you guys have requests then post. Same thing for questions and comments.

For Science,

Lloyd Asplund

Dueling against me is like getting stomped in the balls repeatedly by a man in a bear suit. The bear is wearing a hat and a bowtie. It's random and slightly painful. I speak from experience.
It looks like this:

P.S. the man on the ground is me
P.P.S. The man in the bear suit is also me
P.P.P.S. The opponent is probably the building or the tree or a very scared onlooker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
draco9696
Emperor
Emperor

ZD points : 850
Warnings :
0 / 50 / 5

Time Zone : UTC-5 Ottawa, Time zone
Male Birthdate : 1998-02-10
Humor : witty but funny jokes,
Jobs/Hobbies : yugioh, manga, drawing

PostSubject: Re: General Deck Strategies   2013-01-04, 11:57

oooh interesting ill link to my frein d cause his bro is starting yu gi oh

get your game on!!!!!

You made them cry... nothing can save you now. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

------------------∞------------∞-------------
---------------∞----∞-----∞-----∞----------
------------∞---------∞--∞---------∞-------
---------∞--------------∞--------------∞----
---------∞--------------∞--------------∞----
------------∞---------∞--∞----------∞------
---------------∞---∞--------∞-----∞--------
------------------∞--------------∞-----------

I am infinite, for should you destroy me, I would come back stronger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
genexwrecker
Administrator
Administrator

ZD points : 1100
Warnings :
0 / 50 / 5

Time Zone : illinois
Male Birthdate : 1991-06-18
Humor : typos, spelling errors in names, and sarcasm
Jobs/Hobbies : dueling, helping others with rulings, trying new decks