Mrbiff
Mad Deckbuilder
Mad Deckbuilder

ZD points : 1337
Warnings :
0 / 50 / 5

Time Zone : UTC-6:00
Male Join Date : 2012-09-28
Humor : Humor? What is that? Some kind of disease? Is it contagious?
Jobs/Hobbies : Science

PostSubject: Watch Your Back(row)   2013-01-06, 10:26

Your playing against someone with no spells or traps facedown, you feel safe. You can attack without having to worry, go through your plays uninterrupted. You play against someone with four cards in their backrow. You are probably going to wait for a heavy storm before doing anything even remotely risky. Backrow can make all the difference in a duel.

Choosing cards to have for your backrow is important when building your deck. I have general categories that you can fit any backrow card into. There are more, but the ones that don't fit into a category are generally part of a burn deck or something similar to that. Each of the backrow types can be utilized best by certain types of decks. Decks that like having their monsters out are probably going to want Threatening Roar. Decks that like having their spells and traps might want Silver Sentinel. So on and so forth.

The Stop: Stop Cards are cards that stop your opponent from making plays, this can include Bottomless, Solemn brigade cards, that kind of thing. Stop cards can be used in almost any deck. They generally stop any strategy from working but are increadibly vulnerable to S/T control cards.

Interrupts: Interupts are generally cards that stop battles from happening. Sometimes the get rid of the monsters too. Cards in this group includ but are not limited to: Mirror Force, Dimension Fissure, Threatening Roar. If you like having your monsters stay on the field, you will have some of these in your deck. Cards that require your opponent to attack are vulnerable to S/T control. Which is why I reccomend Treatening Roar, you can chain it. Being able to chain a card is a huge deal. It makes your opponent waste resources.

Turn the Tides: These are cards that can change attack so that your monster wins a battle. Cards in this group include Forbidden Lance, Chalice, Dress, Limiter Removal. Almost all of the cards in this group can be chained or used for another purpose. These cards are usually used in deck that likes destroying an opponents monster by battle, or machines. Limiter gets one turn kills.

Punisher: The only category that includes monsters. These cards all have effects that come into play when they're destroyed by your opponent. Cards in this group includ, Silver Sentinel (monster), Parallel world fusion, Starlight Road. The effect of these cards can be extremely important, if your opponent sees any of these they're going to be more wary of using their S/T control, which is probably important if you use these cards. These cards are usually used in decks where you have lots of backrow.

Advantage by Disadvantage: These are ususally cards that have some sort of downside. For example Torrential Tribute, you have to destroy all of your monsters too. Sometimes that's a good thing. If you have a deck where this may be a good thing you're probably going to use it, like Fire Kings.(edit by genex: some of these disadvantages are able to be avoided with the right timing for activation for example your opponent has monsters and you dont then torrential wont hurt you its a plus for you instead.)

Making sure that you have the right backrow for your deck strategy is one of the most important parts of deck building. Keep in mind that too much backrow can be bad since you won't have enough monsters to do anything. Too little backrow is probably going to be a bad thing too. If your opponent doesn't see any reason to not go for game, they will go for game. If the only spell or trap you draw is a Heavy Storm it's probably a good idea to set Heavy. The psychological effect alone may be enough to stall.

That's all I've got. If anyone has any questions, comments, concerns, or if you want me to do something, post below,

Edit by genex: the way you are able to protect your backrow or best use it depends on your deck. after reading this if you still need help figuring out just what exactly is the best thing to do with your backrow just ask us and we will help you out.

For Science,

Lloyd Asplund

Dueling against me is like getting stomped in the balls repeatedly by a man in a bear suit. The bear is wearing a hat and a bowtie. It's random and slightly painful. I speak from experience.
It looks like this:

P.S. the man on the ground is me
P.P.S. The man in the bear suit is also me
P.P.P.S. The opponent is probably the building or the tree or a very scared onlooker.

Last edited by Lloyd Asplund on 2013-05-10, 08:30; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
genexwrecker
Administrator
Administrator

ZD points : 1100
Warnings :
0 / 50 / 5

Time Zone : illinois
Male Birthdate : 1991-06-18
Humor : typos, spelling errors in names, and sarcasm
Jobs/Hobbies : dueling, helping others with rulings, trying new decks

PostSubject: Re: Watch Your Back(row)   2013-01-06, 10:53

again good work loyd i edited some things in there and didnt highlight them so have fun Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mrbiff
Mad Deckbuilder
Mad Deckbuilder

ZD points : 1337
Warnings :
0 / 50 / 5

Time Zone : UTC-6:00
Male Join Date : 2012-09-28
Humor : Humor? What is that? Some kind of disease? Is it contagious?
Jobs/Hobbies : Science

PostSubject: Re: Watch Your Back(row)   2013-01-06, 11:03

Instead of making me hunt for them you could just post whatever comments or tips you have. It works just as well.

Dueling against me is like getting stomped in the balls repeatedly by a man in a bear suit. The bear is wearing a hat and a bowtie. It's random and slightly painful. I speak from experience.
It looks like this:

P.S. the man on the ground is me
P.P.S. The man in the bear suit is also me
P.P.P.S. The opponent is probably the building or the tree or a very scared onlooker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
genexwrecker
Administrator
Administrator

ZD points : 1100
Warnings :
0 / 50 / 5

Time Zone : illinois
Male Birthdate : 1991-06-18
Humor : typos, spelling errors in names, and sarcasm
Jobs/Hobbies : dueling, helping others with rulings, trying new decks

PostSubject: Re: Watch Your Back(row)   2013-01-06, 12:52

yes but its much more fun to make you hunt Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
draco9696
Emperor
Emperor

ZD points : 850
Warnings :
0 / 50 / 5

Time Zone : UTC-5 Ottawa, Time zone
Male Birthdate : 1998-02-10
Humor : witty but funny jokes,
Jobs/Hobbies : yugioh, manga, drawing

PostSubject: Re: Watch Your Back(row)   2013-01-06, 14:08

very interesting as always Loyd, so please for science and the benefit of everyone continue onward!

get your game on!!!!!

You made them cry... nothing can save you now. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

------------------∞------------∞-------------
---------------∞----∞-----∞-----∞----------
------------∞---------∞--∞---------∞-------
---------∞--------------∞--------------∞----
---------∞--------------∞--------------∞----
------------∞---------∞--∞----------∞------
---------------∞---∞--------∞-----∞--------
------------------∞--------------∞-----------

I am infinite, for should you destroy me, I would come back stronger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Watch Your Back(row)   

Back to top Go down

Watch Your Back(row)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1